Friday, March 11, 2011

000. Unknown Species

I have now added all the species I have photographed so far (except for Pseudagrion australasiae which I do have photos, but the are very poor and will wait for better examples). However, there are a few species that I haven't yet identified and hopefully anyone looking at this blog may be able to help. I have sent the images to Noppadon Makbun but he hasn't been successful, though I thank him so much for his unrelenting patience with my questions and thirst for knowledge about odonata! 

Here are the species I can't identify. If you know, please comment on my blog or email me thaiodonata@gmail.com 

1. Aciagrion sp. (location: Phu Kradeung National Park, 17/10/08)
This damselfly from the Aciagrion genus I thought was A. occidentale. It was only when I looked at the markings on the end segments that I realised it may be an undescribed sub-species. 


Oleg Kosterin commented: "The marking in your Aciagrion is curious indeed (isn't it a female?) but I would not exclude an aberration of A. borneense" He could well be right... even it being a female!






2. Species unknown (location: Huay Kaew Waterfall, Chiang Mai, 29/03/2010)
I saw this dragonfly floating in the river at the base of the waterfall where all the kids swim. I have no idea what it is, especially as it is partly decomposed. Probably in too bad a condition to ID.




If you could help with identification in any way that would be great. 

2 comments:

  1. 1. The marking in your Aciagrion is curious indeed (isn't it a female?) but I would not exclude an aberration of A. borneense.

    2. I'm almost sure (from coloration and the well seen shape of the anal appendages) this is Gynacantha subimterrupta.

    3. Not Gynacantha at all, this is a gomphid. I know them not so well but this looks very much as Sieboldius, so maybe this is Sieboldius nigricolor, which is known from Chiang Mai Province.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... and old hand makes light work! I would never have been able to identify any of these without your help! Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete