Friday, March 4, 2011

73. Ceriagrion chaoi (Schmidt, 1964)

Number: 73
Family: Coenagrionidae
Genus: Ceriagrion
Species: Ceriagrion chaoi
Common name(s): Fiery Coraltail
Thai name(s): แมลงปอเข็มสีพื้นเหลืองส้ม
Habitat: Exposed and weeded upland ponds
Province(s) sighted: Nam Nao NP (Petchabun);  Doi Inthanon (Chiang Mai).
Sightings (by me): Common at Doi Inthanon
In flight (that I have seen): April-July

One species I visited Doi Inthanon in Chiang Mai for last April, was Ceriagrion chaoi. Noppadon Makbun informed me that they were residing at the pond near the main headquarters. Low and behold, the first thing I saw was just that. The only problem was that they were extremely shy creatures and difficult to get anywhere near. I managed to get a few half-decent shots though, but only of the male.

The male
The male is easy to identify. It has a green/yellow thorax and an orange abdomen with slightly darker colouration to the end segments.

This male I saw at Nam Nao NP (26/05/12)



And this one at Doi Inthanon in 2010.



A copula
This copula, I saw at the Helicopter Pad Lake, Nam Nao National Park (09/07/2011) and is in fact the only time I have come across this species here.



1 comment:

  1. Hi Dennis, you may want to consider C. bellona. It has very similar appendages. I recently reviewed my entry of C. chaoi after encountering what I think is the real C. chaoi in southern Vietnam. See also my blog.

    ReplyDelete